WGI International Checklist of
Nymphaea (Waterlily) Cultivars
Click images to enlarge
1) Cultivar Name (Epithet):
Nymphaea ‘Amethyst Splash’
2) Hardy or tropical: Tropical 3) Day or night bloomer: Day
4) Originator: Kit Knotts 5) Year of origin: 1999
6) Address: 2211
7) Nominant (Named by): Kit Knotts
8) Address (if different from above):
9) Introducer: Kit Knotts
10) Address (if different from above):
11) Applicant: Kit Knotts
12) Address (if different from above):
13) Phone: 321-783-0306 14) Fax: 321-783-0306 15) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
16) As far as you know, has this name been published in a dated publication together with a description? Yes
17) If yes to 16, give details of the earliest publication (title, date, publisher, etc.):
Pond & Garden Magazine, 32.57, 2001
18) Has this cultivar been granted Patent or Plant Breeders' Rights, or is it being sold under a trade designation other than the name used here? No
19) If yes to any of the above, please give details:
20) Has a Standard been deposited in a recognized herbarium? No
21) If yes, please give details (where, when deposited, etc.):
ABOUT THE PLANT
Parentage: Seed (maternal) parent: N. ampla
Pollen (paternal) parent: N. capensis
Please give following dimensions in centimeters
Description ‑ Flower: Shape: Stellate, wide petals
Diameter: 23 cm.
Sepal color, exterior: Apple green slightly streaked with dark purple
Sepal color, interior: Light purplish blue
Petal color: Medium purplish blue
Petal number: 30
Stamen: Filament color: Yellow
Anther color: Purple
Tip color: Medium purplish blue
Pedicel (flower stalk) color: Bronze green
Height above water: 36 cm.
Leaves: Shape: Ovate
Margin: Denate and somewhat undulating
Length x width: 56 x 52 cm.
Sinus: Slightly open
Lobes: Somewhat rounded with a point
Color, top: Apple green
Color, underside: Light green suffused with red, especially on lobes
Petiole (leaf stem) color: Bronze green
Petiole pubescent? No
Spread of plant (diameter): 427 cm.
What cultivar does this plant most closely resemble and how does it differ?
N. ‘Bill Yohn’ (lost to cultivation except one plant). N. ‘Amethyst Splash’ has more and wider petals.
Unusual characteristics or comments:
N. ‘Amethyst Splash’ is a prolific bloomer, even in partial shade and cold weather.