WGI International Checklist of
Nymphaea (Waterlily) Cultivars
Click images to enlarge
1) Cultivar Name (Epithet):
2) Hardy or tropical: Hardy 3) Day or night bloomer: Day
7) Nominant (Named by):
8) Address (if different from above):
10) Address (if different from above):
12) Address (if different from above):
13) Phone: 14) Fax: 15) Email: Removed to protect privacy
16) As far as you know, has this name been published in a dated publication together with a description? Yes
17) If yes to 16, give details of the earliest publication (title, date, publisher, etc.): Serrosen by Dieter Beehthold / Haro Hieronimus 2006 Dahne Verlag GmbH, Postfach 10 02 50, D-76256 Ettingen. ISBN 10:3-935175-33-7 and ISBN 13:978-3-935175-33-3
Also appears on the WGI web site galleries.
Also won third place in the IWGS competition for Water Lilies in 2004
18) Has this cultivar been granted Patent or Plant Breeders' Rights, or is it being sold under a trade designation other than the name used here? No
19) If yes to any of the above, please give details:
21) If yes, please give details (where, when deposited, etc.):
ABOUT THE PLANT
Parentage: Seed (maternal) parent: Known
Pollen (paternal) parent: Known
Please give following dimensions in centimetres
Description ‑ Flower: Shape: Star shaped
Diameter: Average 12 cm.
Sepal color, exterior: Green
Sepal color, interior : Pink flushed with white
Petal color: Pink (RHS 73A)
Petal number:37 to 42
Stamen: Filament color: yellow (RHS 13A) base starts off red (RHS 54B)
Anther color: : yellow (RHS 13A)
Tip color: : : yellow (RHS 13A)
Number of Stamens: Around
Number of Carpellary Styles: Around 17, yellow with orange tip
Pedicel (flower stalk) color: round.
Height above water: 0 to 4 cms.
Leaves: Shape: Orbicular
Length x width: Early leaves 11cms. Mature leaves max 15cms.
Sinus: Closed on young leaves slightly open on mature leaves.
Lobes: Not mucronate to slightly mucronate
Color, top: on early leaves, Green (RHS 147A). Mature leaves top Green (RHS 146A).
Color, underside: Brown (RHS 183B) on early Leaves and on mature Leaves Brown (RHS 183A)
Petiole (leaf stem) color: Brown Oval
Petiole pubescent? Yes
Spread of plant (diameter): Medium size
What cultivar does this plant most closely resemble and how does it differ?
Unusual characteristics or comments:
‘Aphrodite’ is a star-shaped waterlily
with a large number of pointed petals