WGI International Checklist of
Nymphaea (Waterlily) Cultivars
Click images to enlarge
1) Cultivar Name (Epithet):
Nymphaea ‘Carlos Magdalena’
2) Hardy or tropical: Tropical 3) Day or night bloomer: Day
4) Originator: Kit Knotts 5) Year of origin: 1999
6) Address: Removed to protect privacy
7) Nominant (Named by): Kit Knotts
8) Address (if different from above):
9) Introducer: Kit Knotts
10) Address (if different from above):
11) Applicant: Kit Knotts
12) Address (if different from above):
13) Phone: 14) Fax: 15) Email: Removed to protect privacy
16) As far as you know, has this name been published in a dated publication together with a description? No
17) If yes to 16, give details of the earliest publication (title, date, publisher, etc.):
18) Has this cultivar been granted Patent or Plant Breeders' Rights, or is it being sold under a trade designation other than the name used here? No
19) If yes to any of the above, please give details:
20) Has a Standard been deposited in a recognized herbarium? No
ABOUT THE PLANT
Parentage: Seed (maternal) parent: N. ampla
Pollen (paternal) parent: N. ‘Pink Perfection’
Please give following dimensions in centimeters
Description ‑ Flower: Shape: Stellate, wide petals
Diameter: 20 cm.
Sepal color, exterior: Green streaked with dark purple
Sepal color, interior: Light purplish blue
Sepal number: 4
Petal color: Medium purplish blue
Petal number: 28
Stamen: Filament color: Yellow
Anther color: Purple
Tip color: Medium purplish blue
Pedicel pubescent (fuzzy)? No
Height above water: 28 cm.
Leaves: Shape: Ovate
Margin: Denate and somewhat undulating
Length x width: 50 x 46 cm.
Sinus: Slightly open
Color, top: Green heavily mottled with dark maroon
Color, underside: Light green suffused with red, speckled with pink and purple
Petiole (leaf stem) color: Reddish bronze green
Petiole pubescent? No
Spread of plant (diameter): 280 cm.
What cultivar does this plant most closely resemble and how does it differ?
N. ‘Amethyst Splash’ but with mottled pads. N. ‘Bill Frase’ but with less smoky undertones in the pads and larger flowers.
Unusual characteristics or comments:
N. ‘Carlos Magdalena’ is a prolific bloomer, even in partial shade and cold weather.