WGI International Checklist of
Nymphaea (Waterlily) Cultivars
Click images to enlarge
1) Cultivar Name (Epithet):
2) Hardy or tropical: Hardy 3) Day or night bloomer: Day
7) Nominant (Named by):
8) Address (if different from above):
10) Address (if different from above):
12) Address (if different from above):
13) Phone: 14) Fax: 15) Email: Removed to protect privacy
16) As far as you know, has this name been published in a dated publication together with a description? Yes
17) If yes to 16, give details of the earliest publication (title, date, publisher, etc.): Serrosen by Dieter Beehthold / Haro Hieronimus 2006 Dahne Verlag GmbH, Postfach 10 02 50, D-76256 Ettingen. ISBN 10:3-935175-33-7 and ISBN 13:978-3-935175-33-3
Also appears on the WGI web site galleries.
Also won third place in the IWGS competition for Water Lilies in 2004
18) Has this cultivar been granted Patent or Plant Breeders' Rights, or is it being sold under a trade designation other than the name used here? No
19) If yes to any of the above, please give details:
20) Has a Standard been deposited in a recognized herbarium? No
21) If yes, please give details (where, when deposited, etc.):
ABOUT THE PLANT
Parentage: Seed (maternal) parent: Known
Pollen (paternal) parent: Known
Please give following dimensions in centimetres
Description ‑ Flower: Shape: Cup
Diameter: Average 8 cm.
Sepal color, exterior: Green in centre lengthwise and Red lengthwise on edges
Sepal color, interior: Light green in centre, Red on edges flashed with white
Sepal number: 4 sometimes 5
Petal color: Dark Red (RHS 59A) black (RHS 202A) on tips
Petal number:35 to 39
Stamen: Filament color: Dark red (RHS 59A) on Base Dark Red (RHS 59C)
Anther color: ( Dark red RHS59A)
Tip color: : Black (RHS 202A)
Number of Stamens: Around 63
Number of Carpellary Styles: 14-17
Pedicel (flower stalk) color: Brown (RHS 177B) 5 air channels approximately 6 mm in diameter round.
Fragrant? Some fragrance
Height above water: 0 cm.
Leaves: Shape: Ovate
Length x width: early leaves 11 x 10 cm. Mature leaves max size 16.5 x 15.5 cm.
Sinus: Closed. Overlapping on some leaves
Color, top: on early leaves dark Brown (RHS 200A) and on mature leaves Green (RHS 147A)
Petiole (leaf stem) color: Brown round
Petiole pubescent? Yes
Spread of plant (diameter): Medium size
What cultivar does this plant most closely resemble
and how does it differ?
Unusual characteristics or comments:
Nymphaea ‘Efestus’ petals are a very dark red reaching
black towards the tips on the third day. Large number of
petals, a double water lily.