WGI International Checklist of
Nymphaea (Waterlily) Cultivars
Click images to enlarge
1) Cultivar Name:
Nymphaea ‘Fountain Blue’
2) Hardy or tropical: Tropical 3) Day or night bloomer: Day
4) Originator: J. Craig Presnell 5) Year of origin: 2008
Address: Removed to protect privacy
7) Nominant (Named by): J. Craig Presnell
8) Address (if different from above):
9) Introducer: J. Craig Presnell
10) Address (if different from above):
11) Applicant: J. Craig Presnell
12) Address (if different from above):
13) Phone: 14) Fax: 15) Email: Removed to protect privacy
16) As far as you know, has this name been published in a dated publication together with a description?
17) If yes to 16, give details of the earliest publication (title, date, publisher, etc.):
18) Has this cultivar been granted Patent or Plant Breeders' Rights, or is it being sold under a trade designation other than the name used here? No
19) If yes to any of the above, please give details:
20) Has a Standard been deposited in a recognized herbarium? No
21) If yes, please give details (where, when deposited, etc.):
ABOUT THE PLANT
Parentage: Seed (maternal) parent: N. capensis
Pollen (paternal) parent: N. ‘White Colorata’
Please give following dimensions in centimeters
Description ‑ Flower: Shape: Stellate, then flat
Diameter: 20 cm.
Sepal color, exterior: Green
Sepal color, interior: White
Sepal number: 4
Petal color: Icy blue
Petal number: 36 plus 100+ petaloid stamens
Stamen: Filament color: Bottom half yellow, upper half light lavender
Pedicel (flower stalk) color: Brown
Pedicel pubescent (fuzzy)? No
Height above water: 20 cm.
Leaves: Shape: Oval
Margin: Entire (few indents)
Length x width: 25 x 20 cm.
Color, top: Drab green, a few purple splotches in new leaves
Color, underside: Green with light purple shading
Petiole (leaf stem) color: Brown
Petiole pubescent? No
Spread of plant (diameter): 200 cm.
What cultivar does this plant most closely resemble and how does it differ?
Most closely resembles N. ‘Sandra Lynn' but has many more petals and green pads
Unusual characteristics or comments: The petaloid stamens in N. 'Fountain Blue' form a raised center that "pillows" while the petals lay flat.