WGI International Checklist of
Nymphaea (Waterlily) Cultivars
Click images to enlarge
1) Cultivar Name (Epithet):
Nymphaea ‘Haunting Beauty’
2) Hardy or tropical: Hardy 3) Day or night bloomer: Day
4) Originator: Mike Giles 5) Year of origin: 2006
6) Address: Removed to protect privacy
7) Nominant (Named by): Mike Giles
8) Address (if different from above):
9) Introducer: Mike Giles
10) Address (if different from above):
11) Applicant: Mike Giles
12) Address (if different from above):
13) Phone: 14) Fax: 15) Email: Removed to protect privacy
16) As far as you know, has this name been published in a dated publication together with a description? No
17) If yes to 16, give details of the earliest publication (title, date, publisher, etc.):
18) Has this cultivar been granted Patent or Plant Breeders' Rights, or is it being sold under a trade designation other than the name used here? No
19) If yes to any of the above, please give details:
20) Has a Standard been deposited in a recognized herbarium? No
21) If yes, please give details (where, when deposited, etc.):
ABOUT THE PLANT
Parentage: Seed (maternal) parent: Known
Pollen (paternal) parent: Unknown
Please give following dimensions in centimeters.
Description ‑ Flower: Shape: Star
Diameter: 15-20 cm.
Sepal color, exterior: Green lighter each day with pink margin where sepals overlap.
Sepal color, interior: Deep reddish rose-pink, slightly deeper than outer petals.
Sepal number: 4
Petal color: Variable. Some flowers are lighter and more pastel. Deep hot pink outer petals with slightly lighter tips that are slightly less red and rosy than the sepals, gradually mixing with light yellow blush in the middle petals, then to dark yellow inner petals with orange bases. Lighter on lighter flowers
Petal number: 28-34
Anther color: Deep yellow to orange
Tip color: Deep yellow
Pedicel (flower stalk) color: Dark green
Pedicel pubescent (fuzzy)? Thick velvet
Fragrant? Lemony scent
Height above water: 5 cm.
Leaves: Shape: Round, cup shaped with dimples.
Margin: Smooth, strongly upturned and undulating.
Length x width: 28 x 28 cm.
Lobes: One or both raised with small pointy tips
Color, top: Very dark green. New leaves very dark red and green with strong dark specks and bigger dark splotches when young, fading to all dark green when old.
Color, underside: All dark pinkish red with dark splotches, green central vein, green where petiole joins the leaf.
Petiole pubescent? Velvet
Spread of plant (diameter): 120-180 cm.
What cultivar does this plant most closely resemble and how does it differ? Resembles N. ‘Sunfire’ in color but is more variable. Fewer wider petals with a greater tendency to be pastel at times. Bigger even darker leaves than N. ‘Sunfire’ on a bigger plant.
Unusual characteristics or comments: Very substantial flower on strong pedicels on a substantial plant with controlled growth that is slow to multiply.