WGI International Checklist of
Nymphaea (Waterlily) Cultivars
1) Cultivar Name (Epithet):
Nymphaea ‘Over the Rainbow’
2) Hardy or tropical: Tropical 3) Day or night bloomer: Day
4) Originator: Kit Knotts 5) Year of origin: 2006
6) Address: Removed to protect privacy
7) Nominant (Named by): Kit Knotts
8) Address (if different from above):
9) Introducer: Kit Knotts
10) Address (if different from above):
11) Applicant: Kit Knotts
12) Address (if different from above):
13) Phone: 14) Fax: 15) Email: Removed to protect privacy
16) As far as you know, has this name been published in a dated publication together with a description?
17) If yes to 16, give details of the earliest publication (title, date, publisher, etc.):
18) Has this cultivar been granted Patent or Plant Breeders' Rights, or is it being sold under a trade designation other than the name used here? No
20) Has a Standard been deposited in a recognized herbarium? No
21) If yes, please give details (where, when deposited, etc.):
ABOUT THE PLANT
Parentage: Seed (maternal) parent: N. ‘RSVP’
Please give following dimensions in centimeters
Description ‑ Flower: Shape: Stellate, then flat with sepals reflexed
Diameter: 22 cm.
Sepal color, exterior: Green streaked with dark purple
Sepal color, interior: Light purple
Sepal number: 4 large, 4 small
Petal color: Medium-dark purple, slightly darker at tips
Petal number: 44
Stamen: 186 petaloid stamens, pink, yellow at base,
Pedicel (flower stalk) color: Bronze green
Height above water: 30 cm.
Leaves: Shape: Oval
Length x width: 56 x 50 cm.
Sinus: Almost closed V
Color, top: Green heavily mottled with dark maroon
Color, underside: Light green suffused with pink, pink and purple speckles
Petiole (leaf stem) color: Reddish bronze green
Petiole pubescent? Yes
Spread of plant (diameter): 300 cm.
What cultivar does this plant most closely resemble and how does it differ?
N. ‘Foxfire’ but the flower is tricolor. N. ‘Smoulder’ but with mottled pads.
Unusual characteristics or comments:
N. ‘Over the Rainbow’ is one of the few cultivars with a multicolored pompom center. Flowers open early and close late. It is tolerant of cold and some shade.