WGI International Checklist of
Nymphaea (Waterlily) Cultivars
Click images to enlarge
1) Cultivar Name (Epithet):
Nymphaea ‘Rose Bowl’
2) Hardy or tropical: Tropical 3) Day or night bloomer: Night
4) Originator: Florida Aquatic Nurseries, Inc. 5) Year of origin: 1998
6) Address: Removed to protect privacy
7) Nominant (Named by): Florida Aquatic Nurseries, Inc.
8) Address (if different from above):
9) Introducer: Florida Aquatic Nurseries, Inc.
10) Address (if different from above):
11) Applicant: Florida Aquatic Nurseries, Inc.
12) Address (if different from above):
13) Phone: 14) Fax: 15) Email: Removed to protect privacy
16) As far as you know, has this name been published in a dated publication together with a description? Yes
17) If yes to 16, give details of the earliest publication (title, date, publisher, etc.):
Water Gardening Magazine, p. 25, 1999
18) Has this cultivar been granted Patent or Plant Breeders' Rights, or is it being sold under a trade designation other than the name used here? No
19) If yes to any of the above, please give details:
20) Has a Standard been deposited in a recognized herbarium? No
21) If yes, please give details (where, when deposited, etc.):
Parentage: Seed (maternal) parent: N. ‘Red Cup’
Pollen (paternal) parent: N. spontanea
Please give following dimensions in centimeters.
Colors from RHS Colour Charts.
Description ‑ Flower: Shape: Bowl
Diameter: 15-20 cm.
Sepal color, exterior: 146A-B-C with 73C lines and edges
Sepal color, interior: 73C
Sepal number: 4
Petal color: 73A-C
Petal number: 20
Stamen: Filament color: 159B
Anther color: Outside 169B-C with 23B line in the center, inside 50B with two 42A lines
Tip color: 169D
Pedicel (flower stalk) color: 165A
Pedicel pubescent (fuzzy)? No
Fragrant? Yes, typical night bloomer aroma
Leaves: Shape: Ovate
Margin: Sharply denate
Length x width: 32 x 29 cm.
Lobes: Pointed tips
Color, top: 147A
Color, underside: 148A
Petiole (leaf stem) color: 200A
Petiole pubescent? No
Spread of plant (diameter): 200-250 cm.
What cultivar does this plant most closely resemble and how does it differ?
Unusual characteristics or comments:
Specimen was taken in September in Zone 10. Flower color will be more intense in June-August and more intense in cooler zones. The flower of this cultivar is unique in its bowl shape.