WGI International Checklist of
Nymphaea (Waterlily) Cultivars
1) Cultivar Name (Epithet):
2) Hardy or tropical: Tropical 3) Day or night bloomer: Day
4) Originator: Kit Knotts 5) Year of origin: 2008
6) Address: Removed to protect privacy
7) Nominant (Named by): Kit Knotts
8) Address (if different from above):
9) Introducer: Kit Knotts
10) Address (if different from above):
11) Applicant: Kit Knotts
12) Address (if different from above):
13) Phone: 14) Fax: 15) Email: Removed to protect privacy
16) As far as you know, has this name been published in a dated publication together with a description?
17) If yes to 16, give details of the earliest publication (title, date, publisher, etc.):
18) Has this cultivar been granted Patent or Plant Breeders' Rights, or is it being sold under a trade designation other than the name used here? No
19) If yes to any of the above, please give details:
20) Has a Standard been deposited in a recognized herbarium? No
21) If yes, please give details (where, when deposited, etc.):
ABOUT THE PLANT
Parentage: Seed (maternal) parent: Unnamed seedling
Pollen (paternal) parent: N. ampla
Please give following dimensions in centimeters
Description ‑ Flower: Shape: Stellate, then flat with sepals reflexed
Diameter: 25 cm.
Sepal color, exterior: Apple green streaked with dark purple
Sepal color, interior: Yellowish white lightly streaked with purple
Sepal number: 4 large, 4 small
Petal color: Medium purple-blue, lighter at base
Petal number: 42
Stamen: 212 petaloid stamens, deep to light yellow, purple tips
Pedicel (flower stalk) color: Bronze green
Height above water: 27 cm.
Leaves: Shape: Oval
Length x width: 58 x 53 cm.
Sinus: Open V
Color, top: Apple green, slightly flecked when young
Color, underside: Purplish-red, green veins
Petiole (leaf stem) color: Bronze green
Petiole pubescent? Yes
Spread of plant (diameter): 320 cm.
What cultivar does this plant most closely resemble and how does it differ?
N. ‘Avalanche’. N. ‘Sparkler’ has plain green pads. Petaloid stamens are strong yellow with no hint of pink and flowers do not turn pink on successive days.
Unusual characteristics or comments:
N. ‘Sparkler’ is one of the few cultivars with a pompom center. Flowers open early and close late. It is tolerant of cold and some shade.