WGI International Checklist of
Nymphaea (Waterlily) Cultivars
Click images to enlarge
1) Cultivar Name:
2) Hardy or tropical: Tropical 3) Day or night bloomer: Day
4) Originator: Rich Sacher 5) Year of origin: 1999
Address: Removed to protect privacy
7) Nominant (Named by): Rich Sacher
8) Address (if different from above):
10) Address (if different from above):
12) Address (if different from above):
13) Phone: 14) Fax: 15) Email: Removed to protect privacy
16) As far as you know, has this name been published in a dated publication together with a description?
17) If yes to 16, give details of the earliest publication (title, date, publisher, etc.):
The Names of Waterlilies, Knotts 2002
18) Has this cultivar been granted Patent or Plant Breeders' Rights, or is it being sold under a trade designation other than the name used here? No
19) If yes to any of the above, please give details:
20) Has a Standard been deposited in a recognized herbarium? No
21) If yes, please give details (where, when deposited, etc.):
ABOUT THE PLANT
Pollen (paternal) parent: N. ‘Purple Zanzibar’
Please give following dimensions in centimeters
Description ‑ Flower: Shape: Stellate
Diameter: 18-20 cm.
Sepal color, exterior: Green streaked with purple
Sepal color, interior: Very light blue, almost white
Sepal number: 4
Petal color: Ice blue, lighter at base, stamenoid petals at center almost white
Petal number: 50-54
Stamen: Filament color: Light yellow
Anther color: White
Tip color: Ice blue
Pedicel (flower stalk) color: Reddish bronze
Pedicel pubescent (fuzzy)? Slightly
Height above water: 15 cm.
Margin: Denate and extremely undulate, edges turned up
Length x width: 36 x 33 cm.
Sinus: Closed, usually overlapping, sometimes raised like a sail
Color, top: Green heavily streaked with purple
Color, underside: Green heavily flecked with purple
Petiole (leaf stem) color: Reddish bronze
Petiole pubescent? Slightly
Spread of plant (diameter): 210 - 240 cm.
What cultivar does this plant most closely resemble and how does it differ?
Unusual characteristics or comments:
Excellent bloomer, good flower to pad scale. Cold tolerant.
Additional Images of N. ‘Starlight’