WGI International Checklist of
Nymphaea (Waterlily) Cultivars
Click images to enlarge
1) Cultivar Name:
Nymphaea ‘Vanilla Sky’
2) Hardy or tropical: Tropical 3) Day or night bloomer: Daybloomer
4) Originator: J. Craig Presnell 5) Year of origin: 2002
Address: Removed to protect privacy
7) Nominant (Named by): J. Craig Presnell
8) Address (if different from above):
9) Introducer: J. Craig Presnell
10) Address (if different from above):
11) Applicant: J. Craig Presnell
12) Address (if different from above):
13) Phone: 14) Fax: 15) Email: Removed to protect privacy
16) As far as you know, has this name been published in a dated publication together with a description?
17) If yes to 16, give details of the earliest publication (title, date, publisher, etc.):
Knotts “The Names of Waterlilies” 2002
18) Has this cultivar been granted Patent or Plant Breeders' Rights, or is it being sold under a trade designation other than the name used here? No
19) If yes to any of the above, please give details:
20) Has a Standard been deposited in a recognized herbarium? No
21) If yes, please give details (where, when deposited, etc.):
ABOUT THE PLANT
Parentage: Seed (maternal) parent: N. ‘Day Glow’
Pollen (paternal) parent: N. micrantha
Please give following dimensions in centimeters
Description ‑ Flower: Shape: Stellate
Diameter: 18 cm.
Sepal color, exterior: Olive with black streaks
Sepal color, interior: White
Sepal number: 4
Petal number: 20
Stamen: Filament color: Yellow
Anther color: Yellow
Tip color: White
Pedicel (flower stalk) color: Reddish brown
Pedicel pubescent (fuzzy)? No
Height above water: 15 cm.
Leaves: Shape: Nearly round
Margin: Slightly denate
Length x width: 25.4 x 22.8 cm.
Color, top: Dark green. New pads lightly flecked with maroon.
Color, underside: Rose with few purple flecks
Petiole (leaf stem) color: Brown
Petiole pubescent? No
Spread of plant (diameter): 180-240 cm.
What cultivar does this plant most closely resemble and how does it differ?
N. ‘Blue Micrantha’. N. ‘Vanilla Sky’ has white flowers
Unusual characteristics or comments: