WGI International Checklist of
Nymphaea (Waterlily) Cultivars
Click images to enlarge
1) Cultivar Name (Epithet):
Nymphaea ‘Violet Queen’
2) Hardy or tropical: Tropical 3) Day or night bloomer: Day
4) Originator: Huang GuoZhen 5) Year of origin: 2009
6) Address: Removed to protect privacy
QingDao City, China
7) Nominant (Named by): Huang GuoZhen
8) Address (if different from above):
9) Introducer: The Chinese Water Lily World
10) Address (if different from above):
11) Applicant: Huang GuoZhen
12) Address (if different from above):
13) Phone: 14) Fax: 15) Email: Removed to protect privacy
16) As far as you know, has this name been published in a dated publication together with a description? No
17) If yes to 16, give details of the earliest publication (title, date, publisher, etc.):
18) Has this cultivar been granted Patent or Plant Breeders' Rights, or is it being sold under a trade designation other than the name used here? No
19) If yes to any of the above, please give details:
20) Has a Standard been deposited in a recognized herbarium? No
21) If yes, please give details (where, when deposited, etc.):
ABOUT THE PLANT
Parentage: Seed (maternal) parent: Blue seedling of N. capensis
Pollen (paternal) parent: N. ‘Nangkwaug Deng’ (8 sepals, red color)
Please give following dimensions in centimeters.
Description ‑ Flower: Shape: Cup, then stellate
Diameter: 15-18 cm.
Sepal color, exterior: Yellow-green group 146 A
Sepal color, interior: Violet group 86 B
Sepal number: 4
Petal color: Blue group 90 A
Petal number: 35-36
Stamen: Filament color: Yellow group 6 A
Anther color: Exterior purple group 79 A, interior purple/yellow
Tip color: Violet-blue group 93 C
Pedicel (flower stalk) color: Green-brown
Pedicel pubescent (fuzzy)? No
Height above water: 26-30 cm.
Leaves: Shape: Ovate
Length x width: 35 x 30 cm.
Color, top: Yellow-green group 146 B
Color, underside: Yellow-brown
Petiole color: Green-brown
Petiole pubescent? No
Spread of plant (diameter): 200-220 cm.
What cultivar does this plant most closely resemble and how does it differ?
Unusual characteristics or comments: