WGI International Checklist of
Nymphaea (Waterlily) Cultivars
Click images to enlarge
1) Cultivar Name (Epithet):
Nymphaea ‘Wedding Dress’
2) Hardy or tropical: Hardy 3) Day or night bloomer: Day
4) Originator: Mike Giles 5) Year of origin: 2006
6) Address: Removed to protect privacy
7) Nominant (Named by): Mike Giles
8) Address (if different from above):
9) Introducer: Mike Giles
10) Address (if different from above):
11) Applicant: Mike Giles
12) Address (if different from above):
13) Phone: 14) Fax: 15) Email: Removed to protect privacy
16) As far as you know, has this name been published in a dated publication together with a description? No
17) If yes to 16, give details of the earliest publication (title, date, publisher, etc.):
18) Has this cultivar been granted Patent or Plant Breeders' Rights, or is it being sold under a trade designation other than the name used here? No
19) If yes to any of the above, please give details:
20) Has a Standard been deposited in a recognized herbarium? No
21) If yes, please give details (where, when deposited, etc.):
ABOUT THE PLANT
Parentage: Seed (maternal) parent: Known
Pollen (paternal) parent: Unknown
Please give following dimensions in centimeters.
Description ‑ Flower: Shape: Cup-star
Diameter: 12-18 cm.
Sepal color, exterior: Dark green, the same as the leaves.
Sepal color, interior: Light green, lighter at the base progressing to dark green tips.
Sepal number: 4
Petal color: Usually white, sometimes a very light yellow at the petal bases. Sometimes the center petals are yellow.
Petal number: 40-46
Stamen: Filament color: Variable. Sometimes deep yellow, sometimes deep orange.
Anther color: Outer row yellow, inner rows deep yellow to deep orange.
Pedicel (flower stalk) color: Light green
Pedicel pubescent (fuzzy)? Slight
Fragrant? Light lemon scent
Height above water: 0-5 cm.
Leaves: Shape: Slightly longer than wide. Horse hoof print shaped. Dimpled surface.
Margin: Smooth, lays flat
Length x width: 25 x 23 cm.
Lobes: Straight, no overlap. Small pointy tips.
Color, top: Young leaves are dark green with darker specks and splotches on top of lighter brownish specks and splotches.
Color, underside: Red-pink with darker red splotches.
Petiole (leaf stem) color: Light green
Petiole pubescent? Slight
Spread of plant (diameter): 90-120 cm.
What cultivar does this plant most closely resemble and how does it differ? N. ‘Perry's White Wonder’ or N. ‘Virginalis’ but with more petals and dark splotched leaves.
Unusual characteristics or comments: More petals on a wide petaled white flower with small to medium size spread, with a slow growing root that multiplies slowly. Medium leaf coverage. Strong contrast between the white flower and the dark spotted leaves. Blooms well.